This is one of my favorite recipes as of late. It was originally featured on the Goop website. I made a couple changes and note that even Levi likes it. Guess what? It is healthy for you. I love the creamy texture of the coconut milk, chewy texture of the kale, and slight spice of the curry. Note, this is not spicy. It tastes better the next day so save the leftovers.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
4 large cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons minced ginger
1 teaspoon garam masala (I forgot this, and it still tasted good)
2 teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon ground coriander
1 small pinch cayenne pepper
2 (14.5-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup light coconut milk
2 packed cups finely chopped kale leaves (about ½ bunch)
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 7 minutes, or until it begins to soften. Add garlic, ginger, and spices and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Add chickpeas, stock, and coconut milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Reduce to a simmer and cook gently for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
4. Add the kale and another pinch of salt and simmer gently for 10 more minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice just before serving.